From 1941 to 1985, the property was owned and operated by American Smelting and Refining Company, who developed and used the site to produce high-grade zinc. After the facility shut down in 1988, Encycle became the new owner and operated a commercial waste management business. In 2005, Encycle filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy and vacated the property. The 72-acre site was then acquired by Plains out of bankruptcy from Encycle/Texas, Inc. in March 2014. Plains engaged with numerous local officials and industry representatives regarding future plans for the site, and, pursuant to the terms of the sale, agreed to undertake and complete significant pre-existing environmental obligations under the direction of the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).